Message sent from:

Batley Parish School SEND School Offer

How do I know if my child has special educational or needs or disability?

Communication and interaction

Cognition and learning

Social, emotional and mental health difficulties

Sensory and/or physical needs

How does Batley Parish CE (VA) J, I & N School know if my child needs extra help?

What should I do if I am worried about my child’s needs? Who can I talk to in school about my child’s difficulties with learning/special educational needs or disability (SEND)?

How do you help and support children with special educational needs and/or disability at Batley Parish CE (VA) J, I & N School?

How do you match the curriculum to my child’s needs? How will you help me to support my child’s needs?

All work within class is pitched at an appropriate level so that all children are able to access learning, according to their specific needs. This might mean that in a lesson there would be three different levels of work set for the class. When appropriate, this can be individually differentiated.

The benefit of this type of differentiation is that all children can access a lesson and learn at their level.

At Batley Parish CE (VA) J, I & N School, we have an open door policy.  You are welcome any time to make an appointment to meet with either the class teacher or SENCO and discuss how your child is getting on and any concerns you may have.  We can offer advice and practical ways that you can help your child at home.

How will school and I know how well my child is doing?

We carry out a range of assessments throughout the school year and measure children’s progress in learning against National and age related expectations. As a school, we track children’s progress termly.  The class teacher continually assesses each child and notes areas where they are improving and where further support is needed. This is identified and recorded on the class provision map.

Class teachers and senior members of staff hold regular Pupil Progress Review meetings to ensure that the most effective provision is in place to support each child’s learning. Where a child is not making expected progress, additional support will be put in place.


Children with special educational needs and/or disability usually have additional targets set.  These will be reviewed regularly with parents, children and outside agencies, and next steps planned for.

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

We believe that your child’s education should be a partnership between you, your child and his/her class teacher, and so will speak to you regularly to discuss your child’s progress.

If your child has complex special educational needs and/or disability, they may have an Education Health Care Plan, which means that formal meetings will take place involving their teacher, the SENDCo and any outside agencies involved.

We are an inclusive and nurturing school, and we welcome and celebrate diversity. All staff believe that high self-esteem is crucial to a child’s well-being. We have a caring, understanding team looking after our children.  

Children at Batley Parish CE (VA) J, I & N School are active partners in all aspects of school life.  Their views are sought in a variety of ways and taken into consideration in all matters. Regular School Council meetings are held and each class has two representatives.

The class teacher is the person to talk to regarding the pastoral, medical and social care of your child.  Where additional support is needed, the class teacher will involve the SENDCo. 

Mrs Tracy Bairstow, our Learning Mentor/Family Support Officer, can offer social and emotional support to children and families.  We may also involve outside agencies such as Health and Early Help Services, and/or CAMHs.

Our Teachers, SENDCo and Teaching Assistants have completed a wide range of training in relation to the curriculum and the social and emotional well-being of our pupils.

How we manage the administration of medicines in school

The school has a policy regarding the administration and management of medicines on the school site.

Parents should talk to the class teacher and staff in the school office if a health professional has recommended that medication is to be taken during the school day. On a day to day basis, key named staff oversee the administration of any medicines.  Parents/carers must complete a permission form and these are available from the office.  As a staff, we have regular training and updates regarding conditions and medication affecting individual children, so that all staff are able to manage medical situations.  Many of our staff are fully trained First Aiders.They are available both in school and outside school e.g. on school trips.

How we support and develop the behaviour of pupils

At Batley Parish CE (VA J, I & N School, we expect the very best from pupils and all staff are committed to developing the potential of all pupils in their care.  We feel that good behaviour is an essential life skill, which helps us all to deal with life’s challenges and to build strong relationships with others.

As a school, we use a positive approach to behaviour management, with a clear reward system used throughout the school and within each class. These systems are followed by all staff and pupils. Children are helped to understand the consequences when their behaviour does not match expectations through Restorative Practice.

We expect children to take responsibility for their own behaviour throughout the school day and encourage them to talk to each other and try to work out their own solution to a problem.  Adult support is provided where this is needed. Parents will always be informed of any serious incidents and will be fully included in finding a solution. All serious incidents are recorded on our CPOMS database.

The attendance of every child is monitored on a daily basis.  Lateness and absence are recorded and reported to the Headteacher. Good attendance is celebrated throughout school.

What specialist services and expertise does the school use?

As a school, we work closely with a wide range of external agencies including:

  • School nursing;
  • Educational psychology;
  • Speech and language specialist teachers from the local Outreach Support Service;
  • Speech and language therapy;
  • Occupational therapy;
  • Social services/ Early Help team;
  • The local community police;
  • Behaviour support services;
  • Early Years service;
  • Specialist Provision – providing additional guidance to schools regarding vision, hearing, physical needs etc.
  • CAMHs

What staff training is in place to support children and young people with SEND?

Our staff take part in regular training sessions throughout the school year. Specific training is organised to meet need.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom and on school trips?

Where practicable, all children are included in all parts of the school curriculum and all children are included on school trips. We will provide the necessary support to ensure that this is successful, in consultation with parents. (In the unlikely event that school consider an activity unsafe for a child to take part in, alternative arrangements, which cover the same curriculum areas, will be put in place.)

A risk assessment is carried out prior to any off site activity to ensure everyone’s health & safety.

How accessible is the school environment?

The school site is wheelchair accessible. The school has two main buildings (main school and nursery) and each is on one level.

We liaise with specialist local authority teams who assist us in supporting our families with English as an additional language. We also have a number of staff members who are bilingual.

There are staff in school who are also trained in the use of Makaton signing.

How will you prepare and support my child when they enter or leave the school?

We encourage all new children to visit the school prior to starting, where they will be shown around the school and meet their class teacher.  For children with special educational needs and/or disability, we may arrange further visits and, our SENDCo may visit them in their current school.


When children are preparing to leave us for a new school, typically to go to high school, we will arrange for your child to visit their new school. Staff from the high schools will also come to Batley Parish CE (VA) J, I & N School to visit your child.


We liaise closely with staff when receiving and transferring children to different schools, ensuring all relevant paperwork is passed on and all needs are discussed and understood. This will usually take place during review meetings.


If your child has an Education and Health Care plan, staff from the receiving school will be invited to the review meeting prior to their transfer.

How are your resources allocated and matched to children’s special educational needs?

We ensure that all children who have additional needs are provided for to the best of the school’s ability, with the funds available. Please see the school website for details regarding pupil premium.

How are decisions made about what type and how much support my child or young person will receive?

If the class teacher thinks that a child would benefit from extra support, this will be discussed with parents and the SENDCo, then appropriate support will be put in place. We will review your child’s progress towards their targets regularly and measure their progress towards national age expected levels through termly assessments. You will be kept fully informed of your child’s progress.

Who else can I contact for further information?

Your first point of contact will always be your child’s class teacher. If you require further information or advice, you can contact our SENCO.

If you have concerns and wish to speak to someone from the Local Authority, you can also contact:

  • KIAS (Kirklees Information Advice Support Services)
  • Tel 01484 225422


Who should I contact if I am considering whether my child should join Batley Parish CE (VA) J,I &N School?

Admissions to all Kirklees schools are handled by Kirklees school admissions service. You can contact them at:

Telephone – 01484 225007

Hit enter to search